About Alexis Dubief
I have over 15 years of experience working in technology and have a degree in Technical Writing from Carnegie Mellon and an MBA and MS Finance from the University of Colorado. And 5 years ago I was so tired I would have happily chewed off an arm and then eaten it in exchange for 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
I started Troublesome Tots in 2011 as an excuse to not clean the house. I had a lot of personal experience with kids and sleep, was (am) a huge reader of baby books, academic research, and connected with a number of really amazing pediatricians and pediatric sleep specialists. I figured I would share what I knew with the 5 people who were reading it. Fast forward a few years and there are now millions of people visiting this site from all corners of the globe. Honestly it’s pretty thrilling! And obviously way more important than housecleaning, so that’s worked out well.
Everything I write is based on a few basic assumptions about you:
- You are a smart, involved parent who is interested in understanding both the why and the how to help your child sleep better.
- You understand that, while not always easy, helping your child sleep better is fundamental to their growth and development. That sleep isn’t a choice or about being selfish, it’s a fundamental need for our children and the whole family.
- That you are more than capable of diagnosing your personal situation and implementing a plan to make improvements at night and naptime.
- You understand that except for newborns, kids don’t “grow out” of sleep problems, they “grow into” them.
- You adore your child and are taking steps to do what is in the best interests of your child.
- You have a well-developed sense of humor.
If you’re at all curious about me (are you? probably not but OK) here’s some things you might want to know.
I have 2 kids.
They’re well past the swaddling days but they’ll always be my babies.
My husband is awesome.
He’s super cute, French, and loves biathlon to a degree that most people would consider a little strange. He’s also a college professor which is how I have access to all the great academic research.
I’m working on a sleep book.
Does the world need another book about kids and sleep? Well I definitely hope so.
I am a SAHM.
I never saw that coming. Nor did my bank account. But it’s the right thing for us.
There are times when CIO really is the answer.
I know some people feel that CIO is baby torture and that only the worst of all parents would even consider it. Those people are wrong.
I read a ton.
Mostly literature but I have a shameful romance, fantasy, sci fi habit. All of which I will deny if you bring it up in public.
I love Joss Whedon.
That is all.
If you have something you want to share with me drop me a line! Questions, suggestions, and advice are always warmly accepted.
Please know that if you are writing with a sleep question, I will definitely read it (and I love hearing your stories!). However due to volume received, I’m only physically able to respond to ~5% of emails received. If you’re desperately looking for answers we can set up a 1:1 sleep consultation. Or you can share your situation with other kind parents over on the Troublesome Tots facebook group, who frequently have great thoughts to share.
Use the form below or email me at alexis (at) troublesometots (dot) com.